Managing Difficult ConversationsSimple techniques to maintain control and team morale
Who Is This Course For?
This course is for anyone who works with other people. It is especially suited, but not exclusively, for line managers, team leaders and supervisors. The skills learned on this course can be applied in many everyday situations that we have to deal with.
In this course, participants will learn techniques and strategies to handle difficult conversations successfully by learning how to prepare for a difficult situation, get the conversation off to the best possible start and manage their emotions. They will gain insights into real situations they have experienced and leave feeling more confident in dealing with them effectively.
It is an entry level course and there are no prerequisites.
What Will Learners Gain From Participation?
By the end of this one day course, the learners will be able to:
- Apply new strategies for handling difficult conversations effectively
- Avoid wasting precious energy on feeling negative about a person or situation
- Know how to structure the opening of a difficult conversation more effectively
- Understand what makes a conversation difficult and be able to prepare effectively for them
- Have increased their ability to manage their and others emotions successfully
|Date:||2nd March 2023|
|Time:||9am - 4pm|
|Cost:||£45 per person|
Managing Difficult Conversations
This course is an interactive, informative and highly practical workshop, giving delegates valuable techniques and strategies to successfully handle difficult conversations.
- Difficult conversations
- What makes a difficult conversation
- Typical difficult conversations in work and life
- Small group exercise; facilitated group discussion
- Behaviour types
- Recognising aggressive, passive, passive/aggressive, and assertive behaviour
- Know how to deal with each behaviour
- Presentation; small group exercise; facilitated group discussion
- Scenario discussions: Identifying behaviours
- Identifying behaviours in scenarios
- Small group discussion: how to handle the problem behaviours
- Small group exercise; small group discussion; facilitated group discussion
- Communicating clearly
- Active listening to ease emotional situations
- Effective communication skills for difficult conversations
- Facilitated group discussion
- Toolkit A: Handling difficult conversations
- Techniques to handle difficult conversations
- Presentation; facilitated group discussion
- Clinic 1: Building your personal strategies to handle difficult conversations
- Identify difficult conversations you need to deal with
- Create personal strategies for each situation
- Individual exercise; pairs discussion
- Summary and close
Meet the Trainer
Founder & CEO
An MSc Occupational Psychology graduate from the School of
Psychology, Queen’s University of Belfast , Nigel has over 22 years’
experience across the sectors – public, private and not-for-profit.
His relaxed and friendly styles enables conversational training where learners feel safe to explore, discuss and even disagree with the topics being delivered. Nigel believes these conversations are fundamental to learning, allowing the learner to connect new concepts with previous experiences
tel: +44 (0)28 9581 8090
mobile: +44 (0)79 6875 6056
“Forced me to go out of my comfort zone in presenting, which I enjoyed afterwards! Informal – relaxed by his style” Driver Training Manager
“Nigel is a fantastic trainer, great knowledge and experience of course. He really helped me overcome nerves/fears while training” Area Administrator
“I really enjoyed my 3 days. Nigel was excellent. I found the training very interactive and relaxed.” Area Trainer
“Plenty of time allocated. Videos great to learn from. Great trainer. Very much enjoyed it.” HR Manager
“Enjoyable. Relaxed. Informative. Rewarding.” H&S Manager
Participants on etimes2 training programmes are invited to join our exclusive social media group for on-going support and development. This is open-ended and included in the cost.